Hope

Hope

Thursday, June 7, 2012

A New Art Book! Oh Boy!

I don't know about you, but I LOVE NEW BOOKS!  I have a Kindle on my laptop that I use when I just cannot wait to read something; but an art book...no way!  I MUST have a copy in my hands.  

I honestly did not do much creating today and didn't get much else accomplished either unfortunately.  But when this book came in the mail my spirits were instantly lifted!  I love this book!

It is titled Artists Journals and Sketchbooks; Exploring and Creating Personal Pages by Lynne Perrella.

(All I could find was this Amazon photo so clicking won't get you inside the book)


Learn New Techniques

The great thing about this book and others like it is many of the techniques are SO SIMPLE!  Those of us who aren't "artists" can easily do the things the different artists share.  And it is a great way to learn more fun techniques you can use in anything you want to try.

When I come across fun things like this I will share them with you.  The more we can play with paint and other materials the better!  It will keep us interested and coming back to the canvas, paper, sketchbook, or whatever we are playing on.

Even Photo Editing is Creative

I guess I did get some creating done today.  I took photos yesterday of a sketchbook cover I decorated.  I painted and played on the cover a week or so ago.  I am using the sketchbook for a creative online class I am taking and one of the assignments was to decorate the cover.

So I downloaded the photos on the computer late last night...about 1:30 AM I believe.  Any one else have difficulty keeping normal wake/sleep cycles when you're depressed?  I do.  Often that is when I am most creative actually.

Anyway, I did some editing on the photos today and I'll show you the cover I did.  I really am trying to do something creative each day.  Even if its only working with photos I've taken.  It doesn't have to be painting; there are lots of ways to be creative.  It really does make me feel better and it gets me moving.

My Sketchbook




This is just acrylic paint, some stenciling, a few doo dads (is that a word) from Hobby Lobby I picked up and a fabric butterfly.  I used Mod Podge to adhere HOPE and the 3 butterflies and one heart.  I had a lot of fun doing it.

Create With Someone When You Can

What made it even more fun was that I was not creating alone that night.  My 15 year old niece Madeline came home with us.  We stopped at Hobby Lobby and picked her up a sketchbook and I let her pick out some fun doo dads to decorate her book with as well.

I haven't created with another person since the art class I took with Doris.  I forgot how much fun it was.  And Maddie chatted non-stop with her Aunt Lynn and I loved that! 

Its hard for me to force myself to be with people when I am struggling with depression so this was SO good for me.  I am trying to reconnect with the friends with whom I have been MIA.  It is not easy but I'm working on it.  What a horrible thing....to have friends right?

When depressed apply wet paint!  And get together with someone you haven't seen in a while.  Both will give you a lift.  And you'll make your friends day too!

Oh and I need to go to bed at a decent hour too.  How about you?




No comments:

Post a Comment